Board :Tales of the People
Author :Archon Iyagi
Subject :"Pets of the Horde" by Babyredshan
Date :2/28
  I've spent many times in the Barbarian cave- witnessing the lifestyle of this family. It dawned on me, that I have never seen a pet for one of the Barbarians. I packed a sack and decided to live outside for a week to see if I could figure out who the pets could be for the Barbarians. The water from my bathroom shower dripped off me as I towel dried myself, for the last time for awhile. I started to dress myself in my best clothes, then I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror.

I shook my head thinking, "No, this is not how they would do this." I dressed myself in comfortable clothes that I could move freely in. Now, off I go into the wilderness. I find a place to set up camp for the week, on a tall mountain with plenty of trees for shelter from the weather. I build my fire then unpack my bed. I sat there for a moment listening to fire crackling and watching the sun set in the distance. I have no idea what I'm getting myself into I thought, this was all new to me, but I wanted to learn more.

I laid my head down on some straw and eventually fell asleep. I tossed and turned so much that night, I didn't sleep well at all. My body felt sore, I walked around hunched over for the day. It was an adjustment for me, but I needed to stick it through. I watched birds, squirrels and rabbits run around. "Is this pets of the Horde?", I thought. I watched them from a distance to see where they went, how they acted. Sadly, they did not seem to interact with people, or go near the Barbarian Cave.

Another day down and another restless night. My body aches in places I didn't even knew I had. I have so much admiration for the Barbarians, they don't live a life of luxury. Then it dawned on me... luxury... pets, are wild animals taken from their homes and forced to live with humans. What if this is a luxury I'm used too, that the Barbarians don't do and that is why they don't have "pets"? I headed for the Barbarian Cave, and climbed a tree.

I decided to stay here and watch the animals quietly, see how they interact with the Barbarians. Hours passed, and soon I saw a wolf approach the cave. My heart started thumping hard against my chest. I have never seen a wolf in person, and here is one approaching the cave. "OH NO!", I thought, "I should warn them, what if that wolf kills them?". I was trying to think of a plan quickly, but before I could a Barbarian walked out of the cave and started walking up to the wolf.

I could feel my body tense up and freeze. I couldn't move, I could barely breathe as this wild creature walked towards the Barbarian. It all happened so quickly, the wolf jumped to the Barbarian, my knuckles clinged the tree branch so tightly, while I turned my head to the side to look away, thinking this human life was done for.

To my surprise I heard laughing, I opened my eyes and looked back towards the cave. The wolf was licking the Barbarian's face, and they appeared to be wrestling. I could feel my mouth open in shock. There was no blood, no death, just laughter and happiness. I watched them interact for awhile, playing together and the Barbarian feed the wolf. A few hours passed, and the wolf left and headed back in the direction it came from.

It was then that I understood that Barbarians don't force animals to stay, they live in harmony with them. These wild animals and the Barbarians love each other, so to the Barbarians these animals are not pets, they are friends or even family. I could feel the joy overcome me to see something, so beautiful. I packed up my belongings and headed back home with a huge smile on my face.

- Babyredshan